The General Manager of Rough Trade East, London, is responsible for managing all aspects of the UK's #1 music retail store.
Rough Trade has accrued over forty-three years of trusted trade and customer relations, affording it a unique role and scope of opportunity within the UK and global music (retail) industry. The General Manager of Rough Trade East plays a central role in continuing and building on this reputation and success, whilst meeting all the company’s commercial aims.
It’s a given that the General Manager of Rough Trade East will be both passionate and knowledgable about music, especially contemporary and breaking acts, but also classic back catalogue and a working knowledge of a wide range specialist genres.
The General Manager reports to the company Directors.
Salary based on experience. No agencies, please.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Ensure the flagship store fulfils the role of being an inspiring place of music lover congregation; an exciting and welcoming place for all to visit; a safe and enjoyable venue for intimate live events; maintaining the highest standards in retail merchandising and customer service
- Work with departmental management to deliver a weekly refreshed retail offer and event programme that aims to deliver double-digit, year-on-year sales growth
- Oversee store CMS and Inventory Management systems to efficiently maintain and optimise retail inventory in line with weekly new releases, events and campaigns
- With departmental management, plan and strategise upcoming product promotions & sales incentives with the aim of building sales & margin
- As flagship store figurehead, being a respected, trusted, dependable brand ambassador for the company across the store’s busy event programme
- Maintain a consistent and professional line of communication to stores and departments
- Manage, oversee all aspects of recruiting, training, supervising and appraising store staff
- Weekly sales performance reporting and quarterly reports for Directors
- Ensure compliance and best practice with Health & Safety and other legislation
Qualifications & Skills:
- Recent multi-million turnover retail store management experience
- Proven staff management and leadership skills and experience
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of modern IT systems, e.g. inventory management, staff rota management, etc
- Excellent organisation & planning skills
- Able to demonstrate an astute understanding of what Rough Trade is & who our customers are, as well as understanding the current and upcoming retail landscape
- Food & Beverage operations and event management experience/skills preferable
- Personal Licence (alcohol licensing) qualification desirable
- Social media savvy (ideally with commercial Instagram account experience)