Contract: Permanent, Full-Time.
Location: Visiting our stores 3-4 days per week. Ability to work from home or from offices in London, Bristol & Nottingham on remaining days.
Salary: TBC, based on experience.
A fantastic opportunity for an experienced retail manager that loves music to join a well established, independently owned retailer with a great reputation to lead our retail strategy across our stores.
The UK Head of Retail is responsible for all aspects of Rough Trade’s unique chain of 4 record shops and venues.
Our shops have a storied past and you will be responsible for ensuring we meet our commercial goals whilst creating memorable experiences for customers.
You will work alongside colleagues in Digital Marketing, eCommerce, Accounts, HR and Buying to ensure the shops contribute to the company's goals. You will report to the UK Managing Director.
Your key metrics will be sales, conversion, average transaction value, customer satisfaction and team engagement and development.
Alongside the traditional retail aspects, 3 of our stores contain bar / event spaces. You will work with the Uk bar and events manager to ensure that both retail and bar opportunities are maximised. The operational challenge of running sites for up to 14 hours a day across retail and bar is something you’ll thrive on.
Our stores are located in East London, West London, Bristol and Nottingham. You must be able to visit these shops on a regular basis and you will likely be spending the majority of your days in the stores. Outside of that, we support remote work where possible and we have office space in each of the cities we operate in.
In addition to these responsibilities, the UK Head of Retail will be responsible for identifying and assessing new retail opportunities, pop ups and other ad hoc project work.
- Own the retail strategy - working with the UK Managing Director with responsibility for implementing new ideas and analysing performance.
- Report regularly on performance to the UK Managing Director & the board.
- Support store managers by working collaboratively to review staffing requirements and other resources as necessary.
- Ensure the stores perform to their maximum potential with a keen eye on sales, conversion & customer experience.
- Oversee all audit aspects of the stores including stock loss, shrinkage, cash reconciliation. Manage systems that can identify inefficient areas and work with managers to ensure any issues are dealt with swiftly.
- Motivate and inspire store teams by providing encouragement and recognition for outstanding performance, highlighting potential and overseeing team progression plans.
- Inspire and lead the Retail team to ensure exceptional standards are established and maintained in all areas.
- Work with the buying team to ensure the impact of all product ranges are maximised in the stores. Provide feedback and ideas to the buying team to benefit the stores.
- Work with the marketing & eCommerce team to ensure the stores benefit from all campaigns and feedback ideas to benefit the stores.
- Act as a role model and brand ambassador ensuring Rough Trade values are embedded and nurtured.
- Identify areas of opportunity and work with the store teams to nurture and develop a culture of exceptional customer service by ensuring all teams understand, and are able to deliver Rough Trade service expectations.
Experience & Skills:
- Inspirational leadership and management skills.
- Ability to coach and develop a team.
- 5+ years of retail management experience. Ideally in a large store and/or with multiple departments.
- Excellent commercial understanding relevant to Rough Trade. You gotta know your records!
- Highly organised with the ability to delegate.
- Exceptional customer service focus.
- Confident, positive and enthusiastic.
- Considerate and professional manner.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good analytical skills and ability to explain complex information in a succinct and insightful manner.